HOW TO REACH US:
By Private Transfer
A private taxi transfer in a Toyota Wish or similar from your accommodation in Nairobi to our camp in Maasai Mara costs KES 15,000 each way and takes around 6 hours, it can carry 3-4 passengers comfortably.
A Land Cruiser transfer cost KES 20,000 and can carry 6-7 passengers comfortably.
If you are interested to use a taxi transfer to or from camp we can arrange that for you. Please contact us for booking.
By Public Transport
Take a Narok Line matatu from Nyamakima in Nairobi CBD early (approx 7am) to Narok which should cost approx. KES 400 and arrive in around 2-3 hours. Once in Narok walk 5mins or catch a boda-boda to the central bus station (opposite Naivas supermarket) anyone you ask will direct you. Once there book a seat on a shared taxi to Sekenani, it should cost approx. KES 600 and depart Narok at lunchtime, try to have the correct money as they often will say they do not have change. Be prepared to be 6-8 people per vehicle and expect it to take around 3 hours to get to Mara Explorers, do not take it all the way to Sekenani as we are 3.8km before, if you ask the driver he should drop you off at the main road 300mtrs from camp.
On your way back you will need to wait at the main road around 7-8am in the morning to get a return vehicle going to Narok. There is no specific time table so you just have to wait for a passing vehicle with space.
Please note if using public transport, keep valuables and money on you at all times, some large bags and luggage may be packed on the roof or away from your seat or charged extra if you keep them with you. Using public transport is an adventure, it requires patience and does not always go 100% according to plan. Mara Explorers will not take any responsibility if you miss your matatu, it breaks down, there is a transport strike or for any other reason you are not able to complete your journey here by public transport!
We recommend pre-booking your accommodation and/or game drive vehicle in advance when planning to arrive here via public transport to guarantee availability at the time of your visit.
By Road/Self Drive
If you’re self-driving and have GPS our co-ordinates are as follows;
DMS: Latitude S 1º 29′ 53.765″ Longitude E 35º 21’34.081″
DD Latitude -1.498268 Longitude 35.359467
Directions from Nairobi:
- From Nairobi you should join the new Southern bypass heading in the direction of Nakuru
- You will pass by several service stations on the left
- Look out for 15% off at Bata signboard on left
- Branch left off the highway straight after the Concord service station by a large 15% off at Bata signboard near Limuru
- Turn left onto the B3
- Follow B3 road down the Rift Valley Escarpment to Mai Mahiu for approx 17km
- In Mai Mahiu township turn left to stay on B3
- Follow B3 to Narok for approx 87km
- Continue through Narok passing over the Ewaso Ngiro River bridge
- After leaving Narok town turn left onto C12 signposted to Maasai Mara
- After check point barrier turn left to stay on the C12 tarmac road, do not continue straight into the rough road yet
- After approximately 20km the tarmac turns into rough road, do not deviate from this road
- After approximately 60km you will see large signs on the right hand side for for AA Lodge and Nashulai Conservancy. Slow down as our entry is just before them on the opposite side of the road. *We currently do not our road sign up due to the on going road construction work in our area*.
- If you arrive at Sekenani gate you have passed us. Turn around and come back approx. 3.8km looking for us on the right hand side just after the sign for AA Lodge.
Total: Approx 220km and 5-6 hours depending on the current traffic and road conditions.
It’s possible to fly into our nearest airstrip Keekorok (inside the reserve) with Mombasa Air, Safarilink or AirKenya and we can organise your pick up and game drives from there.
Please contact us to organise if you would like to fly in.