HOW TO REACH US:
By Taxi Transfer
We work with a reliable taxi driver based in Sekenani who has well maintained and licensed PSVs. The cost is KES 12,000 each way from Nairobi to camp and KES 5000 each way from Narok to camp and the vehicles are licensed to take up to 4 passengers. If you are interested to use a taxi transfer to or from camp we can arrange that for you. Please contact us for booking.
By Public Transport
Take a Narok Line matatu from Nyamakima in Nairobi CBD early (approx 7am) to Narok which should cost approx. KES 400 and arrive in around 2-3 hours. Once in Narok walk 5mins or catch a boda-boda to the central bus station (opposite Naivas supermarket) anyone you ask will direct you. Once there book a seat in a shared taxi to Sekenani, it should cost approx. KES 500 and depart Narok when it is full. Expect it to take around 2-3 hours to get to Mara Explorers and do not take it all the way to Sekenani as we are 3.8km before, ask the driver to drop you off at the main road opposite AA Lodge, 300mtrs from camp. We recommend you keep the phone number of the camp with you at all times in case of any problems.
If you plan to use public transport please be aware the return vehicles usually leave Sekenani to Narok early, be prepared to leave around 6am although later vehicles around 7-8am are sometimes available. Also on Sundays public transport between Maasai Mara and Narok is unreliable.
Please note if using public transport, keep valuables and money on you at all times, some large bags and luggage may be packed on the roof or away from your seat or charged extra if you keep them with you. Using public transport is an adventure, it requires patience and does not always go 100% according to plan. Mara Explorers will not take any responsibility if you miss your matatu, there is a transport strike or for any other reason you are not able to complete your journey here by public transport!
If you’re self-driving and have GPS our co-ordinates are as follows;
DMS: Latitude S 1º 29′ 53.765″ Longitude E 35º 21’34.081″
DD Latitude -1.498268 Longitude 35.359467
Directions from Nairobi:
- From Nairobi you should join the new Southern bypass heading in the direction of Kikuyu.
- When you have passed through Kikuyu town you need to branch left and join the highway heading towards Limuru and the Rift Valley.
- Pass by several service stations on the left
- Look out for 15% off at Bata ahead signboard on left.
- Branch left off the highway straight after the Concord service station by a large 15% off at Bata signboard.
- Turn left onto B3
- Follow B3 road down the Rift Valley Escarpment to Mai Mahiu for approx 17km
- In Mai Mahiu township turn left to stay on B3
- Follow B3 to Narok for approx 87km
- Continue through Narok
- Pass by Kenol Petrol Station on the left (has toilets, small shop and restaurant)
- Turn left onto C12
- After check point barrier turn left to stay on C12 tarmac road
- After approximately 20km the tarmac turns into very rough road, do not deviate from this road
- After approximately 60km you will see a large sign appearing on the right hand side for Maasai Mara University and also for AA Lodge. Slow down as our entry is just before them on the opposite side of the road. You will see our small green sign saying Mara Explorers Camp on the left hand side.
- If you arrive at Sekenani gate you have missed us. Turn around and come back approx. 3.8km looking for us on the right hand side!
- Total: Approx 220km, 5 hours depending on the current road conditions from Narok to Sekenani.
It’s possible to fly into our nearest airstrip Keekorok (inside the reserve) with Safarilink or AirKenya and we can organise your transfers and gamedrives from here. Please contact us to organise if you wish to fly in.